QUALIFICATIONS TO BECOME A REGISTERED VOTER
- You must be a Citizen of the United States
- You must live in WV at the address you put on your application
- You must be 18 yrs old or can be 17 yrs old if you turn 18 yrs old on or before the next general election
- You are not currently under conviction, probation or parole for a felony, treason or election bribery
- You have not been judged mentally incompetent in a court of competent jurisdiction
HOW DO I REGISTER TO VOTE
- Register in person at the County Clerk’s Office
- Mail in forms available in County Clerk’s Office or we can mail one to you call 304-329-0070
- Register at your local WV Department of Motor Vehicles
- Register to vote online: To register online you must have a driver’s license or ID issued by the WV DMV. Click here Register to Vote Online.
*Choosing your party affiliation
When Registering to Vote, you should know WV recognizes 4 major political parties:
- In WV all others are categorized as Minor parties. Such as: Independent, Green, Constitution, No Party Affiliation, Reform and many more. If you choose a minor party, simply write in your choice.
Changing or Updating your Voter’s Registration information
Your Voter Registration can be updated or changed as often as you deem necessary. This requires your signature. Before each State, County or Municipal Elections, Voter Registration closes 21 days before an election. WV Code §3-2-6, 3-2-7 Therefore no additions to our voter rolls will be completed until after the election. A name or address change can be made at the polls when you vote.
If you have registered to vote online or at a WVDMV and you haven’t received any correspondence from our office, please contact the County Clerk’s Office. You may not have completed the process or there may be questions regarding your registration.